Moving ZBrush Between Computers
Posted by Matthew Yetter, Last modified by Matthew Yetter on 10 January 2018 08:36 AM
Moving ZBrush between computers is quite simple. Follow these steps:
First, Deactivate ZBrush from your old computer:
If your old computer has suffered a hardware or other failure that prevents use of Web Deactivation, you can use the License Repair system to remove the lost activation from your account. To do that, use the My Licenses page and follow these steps:
- On your old computer, launch ZBrush and use Zplugin >> Deactivation >> Web Deactivation.
- Your web browser will open to a page that requests your registered email address. Enter that and submit.
- A confirmation page will open. Click the button to confirm the deactivation request. This step is very important; if you skip it then your old copy of ZBrush will no longer be able to be used without activating again, but the deactivation will not have properly updated your serial number.
- If you have the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge, you will also need to follow these instructions.
- Log In
- Click the option to request License Repair
- Next to any copy of ZBrush that is not currently functional (not able to be run, or asking for activation when it is run), check the box to select that copy.
- Provide a repair reason, explaining why you are unable to use Web Deactivation.
- Submit the page.
- Confirm the request on the following page, which generates a Support ticket with the info that we need to repair your license properly.
- Wait to receive an email letting you know that the repair has been processed. Repair requests are typically processed within 1-2 hours during normal business hours. Once the repair has been completed, skip to Step 4 of these instructions.
- If you have the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge, you will also need to use My Licenses to deactivate the lost copy of that. This takes effect immediately, without a Support ticket.
Next, on your new computer, install ZBrush. If you don't have a backup copy of your installer, here's what you need to do:
- If your purchase of ZBrush was the most current version, your download link will be in the delivery email that was sent to you after purchase. That's the same email that has your serial number. However, your download link will most likely have expired by now which means that you'll need to submit a Support ticket to have it renewed.
- If your purchase of ZBrush was for an earlier version then you can download the current version installer from our Upgrade Page. If that page tells you that your download link has expired, please submit a Support ticket to have it renewed.
- Please note that all download links expire after two downloads or seven days, whichever comes first. After the link has expired, you must submit a Support ticket to have your download link renewed. We therefore recommend that after downloading you save a backup copy of your installer. That way, you won't need to wait for the Support team if you have to reinstall ZBrush -- something that often happens on an evening or weekend when there is no one here to assist you.
Finally, launch ZBrush and activate. Web Activation will be the easiest method, so if your computer has internet connection (or can be connected to the internet with relative ease) please use that. Phone Activation requires us to read more than 100 letters back and forth over the phone and can only be done during normal business hours.
- If you do not have a record of your serial number, see this article.
- If you get an activation code and the activation then fails, see this article.
- If you have the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge, see this article for how to activate that after ZBrush has been activated.
If you have difficulties not covered by these instructions, please submit a Support ticket.