ZBrush is available in three different license varieties. Two of these are serialized and one is server-managed.
Serialized copies are called this because they use a serial number. When you install ZBrush, you activate it on that machine using your serial number. If you're going to reinstall your operating system or move ZBrush to a different computer, you need to deactivate it ahead of time, freeing that activation for later reuse. All serialized licenses are platform specific. You can't use a Windows serial number to activate ZBrush on a Macintosh or vice versa.
- Single-User License
- The most basic license type, it is ideal for 1-4 copies of ZBrush. All privately owned licenses will be this type. Single-user licenses allow ZBrush to be concurrently activated on any two computers, provided that both copies aren't actually used at the same time. This is not meant to allow two artists to share a license. It simply allows ONE artist the freedom to have ZBrush in two places, such as at home and on a laptop.
- If you are a private individual and wish to use ZBrush on both Windows and Mac, you will need a second license. However, as an individual we can help you out with this by providing a 50% discount on the purchase of the second license. Please submit a Support ticket to arrange this.
- Volume License
- This requires five or more ZBrush seats. It is still serialized but it simplifies license management by combining all copies under one serial number. The serial number allows a number of concurrent activations equal to the number of seats purchased. As a result, rather than having to track which serial number was used to activate which computer, you can simply keep track of which computers have ZBrush installed.
- If you have single-user licenses already and wish to convert to the volume system, there is no cost for this. Simply submit a Support ticket to start this conversion.
- If you have a volume license, you must purchase additional seats by placing a Support ticket rather than using our online store. The store cannot add new seats to a volume license. By purchasing through our staff, we can ensure that the new seats are properly added to your existing license.
Server-Managed (Floating) Licenses
For our larger customers, serialized licenses can become cumbersome due to the difficulty of activating and deactivating many copies of ZBrush at once. To help with this we offer floating licenses. These licenses use one of your own servers to manage ZBrush usage for your artists. Whenever an artist launches ZBrush, it checks with your server to see if a seat is available. If so, ZBrush launches.
Here are some key points about the floating system:
- It requires a minimum of 10 seats. Floating licenses are not available for any fewer quantities and no exceptions are made for this.
- We use the Reprise License Manager (RLM) from Reprise Software. This is the program that will be installed on your server to manage the licenses. You do not need to pay for this separately as its use is included in our set-up fee.
- There is a one-time set-up fee of $875 for the floating system. This is true for academic customers as well.
- The price per seat is identical to that of serialized copies. We do not charge a premium for our floating seats or charge any subscription/maintenance fees.
- Serialized licenses can be converted to floating. Floating seats may not be converted to serialized.