Sometimes it is desirable to fully reinstall ZBrush -- restoring the computer to a "clean" state with no left over ZBrush files before installing fresh. One example would be if you are encountering issues and want to ensure that they aren't caused by a corrupt file.
This is very easy to do. It merely involves removing some files manually.
Follow these steps to perform a clean installation and get ZBrush activated:
- Uninstall ZBrush from your computer.
- For Windows users, use the "Remove a Program" feature in the Windows Control Panel.
- For macOS users, go to your ZBrush directory. There you will find an Uninstall folder which contains the uninstaller application.
- When asked if you wish to uninstall the entire application or individual components, choose "entire application."
- When asked if you want to remove GoZ, either option is fine.
- Locate and delete the ZBrush folder that is left behind.
- For Windows users, it's found in a Pixologic subfolder in your Program Files directory.
- For macOS users, it's simply in Applications.)
- Delete the ZBrushData20XX folder. (The XX represents your ZBrush version number, such as ZBrushData2021.)
- If you are on Windows it is in C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.
- If you are on Mac it is in \Users\Shared\. The easiest way to get to \Users is to be in the Finder and click Go at the top of the screen, then Computer in the pull-down menu. Now in the window that opens, double-click on Macintosh HD. You'll then see Users as one of the folders.
- Make sure you are logged into the computer as an admin user. (Windows only.)
- We STRONGLY recommend that you now disable your antivirus software. (This includes Windows Defender!) Antivirus software is designed to prevent the kinds of things that installers do. As a result, they can corrupt the installer while it downloads, or prevent it from functioning properly during installation. They can also interfere with activation.
- While it is disabled, do not browse to any sites other than those run by Pixologic, This will ensure that your computer remains safe.
- Now you can download and install the ZBrush full installer by logging into your Pixologic ID account at the My Licenses portal.
- Once done installing, launch the software. If it asks for activation, do so.
- If ZBrush was activated before you started the reinstall, it will still be activated when you launch ZBrush. This is perfectly fine. You do not need to deactivate before doing a clean reinstall such as this.
- After ZBrush is up and running again you can turn your antivirus software back on.
Please let us know if you need further assistance. Otherwise, Happy ZBrushing!